I don’t like baking. There are too many variables. Only the best of ingredients should be used, recipe should be followed in the right order and oven temperature has to be accurate and in the end and what not.
So, for the last couple of months I have been trying to follow clean diet; eating low carb foods and more proteins. I had this huge craving for burgers but the usual store bought bun are a big no-no in the diet plan that I am following so I decided to bake whole wheat buns and guess what, they turned out amazing. I found so many recipes for whole wheat bread and buns online.
I tweaked a few and here I am with my version of the easiest recipe for healthy whole wheat buns.
2 tbsp yeast (The one to be mixed directly to the flour mixture)
1/4 cup sugar (preferably brown)
1/2 tsp Salt
31/4 cup Whole wheat flour
1/3 cup Canola oil
1 cup water
- In a glass bowl add oil and sugar and yeast. Mix using a beater.
- Mix in egg, salt, water and flour to the yeast mixture. You will form a soft and slightly sticky dough.
- Let dough sit for 5 minutes.
- On a very well floured surface knead the dough until smooth. Continue to add flour as necessary to avoid the dough from sticking to your hands or the surface (you may feel like it is a lot of flour – I use about 1/2 – 3-4 cup). Knead for about 4-5 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 8-10 buns.
- Place on baking sheet with approximately one and a half inches between buns.
- Cover and let rest for 15 minutes. Buns will grow but not double in size. In the meantime, preheat oven to 425°. My oven is really old and does not have temperature adjustment buttons or knob so I keep it on high. It took me 10 minutes for turning these buns golden brown.
- Bake buns for 8-12 minutes, until golden brown.
You can use these buns for burgers and subs. I cut the leftover buns in slices and spread garlic butter on them an baked. These turned out pretty good too.
Try this recipe and let me know how your buns turned out in the comments.